Suggested Use: Take 2 capsules daily or as directed by your qualified healthcare professional.
Warning: Consult a health care professional prior to use if you are pregnant or nursing, taking any medications or have any medical conditions. Keep out of reach of children.
Store in a cool, dry place.
Ingredients: Organic Garlic Bulb, Organic Potato Starch and Hypromellose (Capsule).
Certified Organic by Quality Assurance International.
What is Garlic?
Garlic, or Allium sativum, is a species in the onion genus, Allium. Its use dates back to the beginning of recorded history and it is one of the earliest examples of plants used for medicinal purposes. Medical applications for garlic can be found in ancient medical texts from Egypt, Greece, Rome, China and India. Across these cultures, garlic was often administered to increase strength. Records even indicate that Hippocrates, the father of Western medicine, prescribed garlic for an array of medical conditions. Now, centuries later, garlic is still commonly used in cooking and to promote health. Modern research focuses mainly on garlic’s ability to support cardiovascular health and circulatory function. The bulb contains a plethora of vitamins and minerals including vitamin B6, manganese, selenium, vitamin C, phosphorous, calcium, potassium, iron and zinc. Many of the therapeutic effects, though, are believed to come from an active ingredient in garlic called allicin. Allicin is what gives garlic its distinctive smell and taste and is stimulated by the chopping or crushing of garlic. Recent research into the health benefits of garlic focuses on its role in cardiovascular and circulatory health.
What are the benefits of Garlic?
While societies have been using garlic for medicinal purposes for centuries, scientific evidence now exists to support this “folk wisdom”. For example, a 2016 study found that aged garlic extract reduced blood pressure in patients with uncontrolled hypertension. Garlic powder pills have also been shown to be effective for the prevention of cardiovascular disease (CVD). There is evidence from multiple studies suggesting that garlic powder intake offers protection from CVD through reduction of risk factors including: total cholesterol, LDL-C cholesterol, fasting blood glucose levels, and blood pressure.[4, 5] Another review paper further supports these claims, and suggests garlic may also play a role stimulating the immune system.
Why take Garlic supplements?
Garlic supplements are a convenient way to obtain the health benefits of garlic, without the stress of incorporating it into your cooking/diet. If you are someone who is frequently on the go, dislikes the taste of garlic, or simply wants to avoid the pungent smell, garlic supplements may be right for you. In particular, individuals with a family history of cardiovascular disease or concerns about CVD risk factors may benefit from garlic supplements. Numerous studies have provided evidence for garlic’s ability to protect against CVD.[2-6]
- Rivlin, Richard S. “Historical perspective on the use of garlic.” The Journal of nutrition3 (2001): 951S-954S.
- Ried, Karin, Nikolaj Travica, and Avni Sali. “The effect of aged garlic extract on blood pressure and other cardiovascular risk factors in uncontrolled hypertensives: the AGE at Heart trial.” Integrated blood pressure control9 (2016): 9.
- P Karagodin, Vasily, Igor A Sobenin, and Alexander N Orekhov. “Antiatherosclerotic and cardioprotective effects of time-released garlic powder pills.” Current pharmaceutical design2 (2016): 196-213.
- Kwak, Jin Sook, et al. “Garlic powder intake and cardiovascular risk factors: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials.” Nutrition research and practice6 (2014): 644-654.
- Varshney, Ravi, and Matthew J. Budoff. “Garlic and heart disease.” The Journal of nutrition2 (2016): 416S-421S.
- Ried, Karin. “Garlic lowers blood pressure in hypertensive individuals, regulates serum cholesterol, and stimulates immunity: an updated meta-analysis and review.” The Journal of nutrition2 (2016): 389S-396S.
|* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.