Suggested Use: Take 2 capsule daily, or as directed by your qualified health care professional.
Warning: Consult a health care professional prior to use if you are pregnant or nursing, taking any medications, or have any medical conditions. Keep out of reach of children.
Store in a cool, dry place.
Other Ingredients: Organic Potato Starch, Cellulose (Capsule).
What is Amaranth?
Amaranth is obtained from Amaranthus dubius, also called as Red Spinach, Chinese Spinach, Yin choy, Hsien tsai, Hon-toi-moi, Araikeerai, Cheera, Chauli, Ptee, Terere or Telele. The plant originated in South America and was introduced to Asia, Africa and Europe. It is commonly used as a leafy vegetable in Southeast and South Asia and Africa. In traditional African medicine it is used as a herbal medicine.
The edible portion of amaranth leaves can contains in 100 gm of leaf about 84 gm of Water, 176 kJ (42 kcal) of Energy, 8.3 gm of Carbohydrates, 4.6 gm of Proteins, 1.8 gm of Fibers, 0.2 gm of Fats, 410 mg of Calcium, 103 mg of Phosphorus, 8.9 mg of Iron, Vitamins such as 64 mg of Vitamin C, 1.2 mg of Niacin, 0.42 mg of Riboflavin, 5716 μg of β-Carotene and 0.05 mg of Thiamin, and Minerals such as Nitrates and Oxalates.[2, 3]
The protein content analysis of Amaranth leaves shows proteins such as Glutelin, Prolamin, Globulins, Albumin and other Amino Acids in Amaranth.
What are the Benefits of Amaranth?
Amaranth is a rich source of Vitamin C, which can be beneficial for cardiovascular health. Vitamin C supplementation can decrease systolic and diastolic blood pressure in patients with mild hypertension.[5, 6] Vitamin C can reduce plaque buildup in healthy adults by preventing adherence of White Blood Cells (WBCs) to blood vessels in patients with low plasma Vitamin C. Vitamin C can increase good cholesterol High Density Lipoprotein (HDL) in women. Vitamin C can lower triglycerides, Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL), fasting blood glucose levels, serum insulin and HbA1C in patients with Type II diabetes. Vitamin C is also known to boost the immune system and reduce the frequency of common cold.
Vitamin C has antioxidant effects in smokers, cancer patients, and exercise induced oxidative stress. Vitamin C supplementation helps reduce the oxidative stress on skeletal muscles caused by exercise and attenuate the protein oxidation caused by exercise, thus resulting in reduced muscle soreness and improved muscle function.[10, 11, 12] Vitamin C can reduce plasma C Reactive Proteins (CRP) in smokers, and because CRPS can be involved in atherosclerosis, Vitamin C use can indirectly help reduce atherosclerosis in smokers. Vitamin C and Vitamin E combination taken together by smokers can reduce oxidative stress induced DNA damage in the blood cells caused by smoking. Vitamin C may lower the toxicity of chemotherapy drugs in esophageal cancer patients, in gastritis patients supplementation with Vitamin C reduces the risk of gastric cancer, and a combination of Vitamin C with molybdenum was found to be protective against esophageal cancer in a long term study.[15, 16]
Apart from the benefits of Vitamin C present in Amaranth, there are other additional benefits to taking Amaranth one of which is the rich protein content of the supplement, which can be a protein source for athletes.[2, 3, 4] Studies with Amaranth showed an increase in nitrate and nitrite levels post ingestion, which can be beneficial as an energy boost for athletes.[17, 18]
Why Take Amaranth Supplements?
Amaranth is a rich source of proteins, vitamins and minerals that can have cardio-protective, anticancer, immunity, energy boost, and other benefits.[2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18]
What are the Most Common Side Effects of Taking Amaranth Supplement?
Currently there are no known side effects of Amaranth. In elderly men undergoing strength training high dose of Vitamin C and Vitamin E taken together can decrease the bone mineral density improvement from strength training.
What are the Precautions and Warnings with Amaranth Use?
Pregnant women, nursing women, and individuals with hematologic disorders including thalassemia, anemia, cancer or glucose-6-phosphate deficiency should consult a physician before using supplements with Vitamin C.[21, 22, 23, 24] World Health Organization does not recommend use of Vitamin C supplementation during pregnancy.. Patients taking Simvastatin and niacin should consult their physician and monitor their cholesterol levels when taking Vitamin C, since the HDL levels can increase with concurrent use of the three.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranthus_dubius. Accessed Apr 2018.
- Grubben, G.J.H. Amaranthus dubius Mart. ex Thell. [Internet] Record from PROTA4U. Grubben, G.J.H. & Denton, O.A. (Editors). PROTA (Plant Resources of Tropical Africa / Resources végétales de l’Afrique tropicale), Wageningen, Netherlands. 2004. <http://www.prota4u.org/search.asp> https://uses.plantnet-project.org/en/Amaranthus_dubius_(PROTA) Accessed Apr 2018.
- Achigan-Dako, E.G., Sogbohossou, O.E.D. & Maundu, P. Current knowledge on Amaranthus spp.: research avenues for improved nutritional value and yield in leafy amaranths in sub-Saharan Africa. Euphytica (2014) 197,Issue 3, pp 303–317 doi:10.1007/s10681-014-1081-9
- Rodríguez P, Pérez E, Romel G, Dufour, D. Characterization of the proteins fractions extracted from leaves of Amaranthus dubius (Amaranthus spp.). African Journal of Food Science. 2011 Jul: 5(7): 417-24.
- Fotherby MD, Williams JC, Forster LA, Craner P, Ferns GA. Effect of vitamin C on ambulatory blood pressure and plasma lipids in older persons. J Hypertens. 2000 Apr;18(4):411-5.
- Hajjar IM, George V, Sasse EA, Kochar MS. A randomized, double-blind, controlled trial of vitamin C in the management of hypertension and lipids. Am J Ther. 2002 Jul;9(4):289-93.
- Woollard KJ, Loryman CJ, Meredith E, Bevan R, Shaw JA, Lunec J, Griffiths HR. Effects of oral vitamin C on monocyte: endothelial cell adhesion in healthy subjects. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002 Jun 28;294(5):1161-8.
- Afkhami-Ardekani M, Shojaoddiny-Ardekani A. Effect of vitamin C on blood glucose, serum lipids & serum insulin in type 2 diabetes patients. Indian J Med Res. 2007 Nov;126(5):471-4.
- Sasazuki S, Sasaki S, Tsubono Y, Okubo S, Hayashi M, Tsugane S.. Effect of vitamin C on common cold: randomized controlled trial. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2006 Jan;60(1):9-17.
- Khassaf M, McArdle A, Esanu C, Vasilaki A, McArdle F, Griffiths RD, Brodie DA, Jackson MJ. Effect of vitamin C supplements on antioxidant defence and stress proteins in human lymphocytes and skeletal muscle. J Physiol. 2003 Jun 1;549(Pt 2):645-52.
- Goldfarb AH, Patrick SW, Bryer S, You T. Vitamin C supplementation affects oxidative-stress blood markers in response to a 30-minute run at 75% VO2max. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2005 Jun;15(3):279-90.
- Thompson D, Williams C, McGregor SJ, Nicholas CW, McArdle F, Jackson MJ, Powell JR. Prolonged vitamin C supplementation and recovery from demanding exercise. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2001 Dec;11(4):466-81.
- Block G, Jensen C, Dietrich M, Norkus EP, Hudes M, Packer L. Plasma C-reactive protein concentrations in active and passive smokers: influence of antioxidant supplementation. J Am Coll Nutr. 2004 Apr;23(2):141-7.
- Møller P, Viscovich M, Lykkesfeldt J, Loft S, Jensen A, Poulsen HE. Vitamin C supplementation decreases oxidative DNA damage in mononuclear blood cells of smokers. Eur J Nutr. 2004 Oct;43(5):267-74.
- Abdel-Latif MM, Raouf AA, Sabra K, Kelleher D, Reynolds JV. Vitamin C enhances chemosensitization of esophageal cancer cells in vitro. J Chemother. 2005 Oct;17(5):539-49.
- Waring AJ, Drake IM, Schorah CJ, White KL, Lynch DA, Axon AT, Dixon MF. Ascorbic acid and total vitamin C concentrations in plasma, gastric juice, and gastrointestinal mucosa: effects of gastritis and oral supplementation. Gut. 1996 Feb;38(2):171-6.
- Subramanian D, Gupta S. Pharmacokinetic study of amaranth extract in healthy humans: A randomized trial. Nutrition. 2016 Jul-Aug;32(7-8):748-53. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2015.12.041. Epub 2016 Jan 21.
- Haun CT, Kephart WC, Holland AM, Mobley CB, McCloskey AE, Shake JJ, Pascoe DD, Roberts MD, Martin JS. Differential vascular reactivity responses acutely following ingestion of a nitrate rich red spinach extract. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2016 Dec;116(11-12):2267-2279. Epub 2016 Sep 30.
- https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-869/amaranth. Accessed Apr 2018
- Stunes AK, Syversen U, Berntsen S, Paulsen G, Stea TH, Hetlelid KJ, Lohne-Seiler H, Mosti MP, Bjørnsen T, Raastad T, Haugeberg G. High doses of vitamin C plus E reduce strength training-induced improvements in areal bone mineral density in elderly men. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2017 Jun;117(6):1073-1084. doi: 10.1007/s00421-017-3588-y. Epub 2017 Apr 5.
- Quinn J, Gerber B, Fouche R, Kenyon K, Blom Z, and Muthukanagaraj P. Case Reports in Medicine (2017), Article ID 5202606, 4 pages. Effect of High-Dose Vitamin C Infusion in a Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase-Deficient Patient https://www.hindawi.com/journals/crim/2017/5202606/ Accessed Apr 2018.
- Darvishi Khezri H, Emami Zeydi A, Sharifi H, Jalali H. Is Vitamin C Supplementation in Patients with β-Thalassemia Major Beneficial or Detrimental? Hemoglobin. 2016 Aug;40(4):293-4. doi: 10.1080/03630269.2016.1190373.
- https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-HealthProfessional/ Accessed Apr 2018
- http://www.who.int/elena/titles/vitaminsec-pregnancy/en/ Accessed Apr 2018.
|* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.