Suggested Use: Take 1 capsule daily, or as directed by your qualified health care professional.
Warning: Consult a health care professional prior to use if you are pregnant or nursing, taking any medications, or have any medical conditions. Keep out of reach of children.
Store in a cool, dry place.
Ingredients: Alpha Lipoic Acid, Organic Potato Starch, Hypromellose (Capsule).
What is Alpha Lipoic Acid?
Lipoic acid (also called α-lipoic acid, alpha lipoic acid (ALA) and thioctic acid) is a potent antioxidant made by the body. It is found in every cell, and is essential for aerobic metabolism (converting glucose into energy).
Antioxidants attack “free radicals,” waste products created when the body turns food into energy. Free radicals cause harmful chemical reactions that can damage cells, making it harder for the body to fight off infections. They also damage organs and tissues. While other antioxidants work only in water (such as vitamin C) or fatty tissues (such as vitamin E), alpha-lipoic acid is both fat and water-soluble. That means it can work throughout the body. Antioxidants in the body are used up as they attack free radicals. But evidence suggests alpha-lipoic acid may help regenerate these other antioxidants and make them active again .
What are the benefits of Alpha Lipoic Acid?
Oxidative stress has been implicated as a causal factor in the aging process of the heart and other tissues. Antioxidants like alpha-lipoic acid target the factors that damage these cells and reverse their effect, making these antioxidants very powerful alternate strategies for the treatment of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases as well as neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.[2-4] Clinical studies on alpha-lipoic acid have shown several benefits including increasing sensitivity to insulin, lowering blood sugar levels and maintaining healthy nerve function. Its ability to kill free radicals may help people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy, who have pain, burning, itching, tingling, and numbness in arms and legs from nerve damage. ALA supplementation has been shown to reduce BMI, weight and blood pressure in obese people. In addition to supporting healthy glucose metabolism, the antioxidant properties of alpha lipoic acid promote healthy vascular and blood vessel function.[5-7]
Why take Alpha Lipoic Acid?
Lipoic acid is present in many foods, but slightly more so in kidney, heart, liver, spinach, broccoli, and yeast extract. However, naturally occurring lipoic acid is not readily available from dietary sources and is found in very low amounts. ALA supplementation is therefore a good way to get higher amounts of this powerful antioxidant in the body.
Clinical studies found that an optimal daily dosage of Alpha lipoic acid would be between 600-1,200 milligrams daily for diabetes and neuropathy. For healthy adults an optimal daily dose would be 100 mg for antioxidant purposes.
- Packer L, Witt EH, Tritschler HJ. Alpha-lipoic acid as a biological antioxidant. Free Rad Bio Med. 1995;19(2):227-250.
- Brufani M1, Figliola R.(R)-α-lipoic acid oral liquid formulation: pharmacokinetic parameters and therapeutic efficacy. Acta Biomed. 2014 Aug 20;85(2):108-15.
- Aliev G1, Li Y, Palacios HH, Obrenovich ME.Oxidative stress induced mitochondrial DNA deletion as a hallmark for the drug development in the context of the cerebrovascular diseases. Recent Pat Cardiovasc Drug Discov. 2011 Sep;6(3):222-41.
- Lynch MA. Lipoic acid confers protection against oxidative injury in non-neuronal and neuronal tissue. Nutr Neurosci. 2001;4(6):419-438.
- Carbonelli, M. G., et al. “α-Lipoic acid supplementation: a tool for obesity therapy?.” Current pharmaceutical design7 (2010): 840-846.
- McMackin CJ, Widlansky ME, Hamburg NM, et al. Effect of Combined Treatment with Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl-L-Carnitine on Vascular Function and Blood Pressure in Coronary Artery Disease Patients. Journal of clinical hypertension (Greenwich, Conn). 2007;9(4):249-255.
- Ibrahimpasic K. Alpha lipoic acid and glycaemic control in diabetic neuropathies at type 2 diabetes treatment. Med Arh. 2013; 67(1):7-9.
|* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.